Welcome again to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Merseyside landmarks, buildings, streets and events from bygone days with how they look today.

Our main image this week shows the Cunard liner Aquitania in May 1921, seven years after her maiden transatlantic voyage from Liverpool to New York in May 1914.

Built by John Brown and Company on Clydebank, RMS Aquitania was the last surviving four-funnelled ocean liner – and the third of Cunard’s ‘grand trio’ along with RMS Mauretania and RMS Lusitania.

Weighing 45,647 gross tons, Aquitania was 901ft long with a 97ft beam. The liner carried more than 3,200 passengers, consisting of 597 in first class, 614 in second and 2,052 in third.

During the First World War, Aquitania was fitted out as an armed merchant cruiser and was damaged in a collision near the Irish coast. The liner was also used as a troop ship and hospital ship.

RMS Aquitania
Queen Mary 2
After the war, Aquitania repatriated troops from Liverpool and Brest to New York, resuming commercial transatlantic voyages in June 1919.

In October 1931, Aquitania made the first ever North Atlantic turnaround in two weeks when she left Southampton for New York on October 7th and again on October 21st.

The liner again served as a troop ship in World War II, making 25 round voyages. Aquitania’s last sailing took place in November 1949 after which she was scrapped at Faslane, Scotland.

Our modern image shows Cunard’s current flagship, the 149,000-ton Queen Mary 2, in Liverpool to celebrate the shipping company’s 175th anniversary.