There are plenty of familiar faces, facts and figures to stir the memory over the Christmas holiday – with some general questions thrown in too. Many of the questions come from Clive Hardy’s book Around Merseyside in the 1960s, featuring unmissable photos from an unforgettable decade. We hope you enjoy the quiz. (Answers are at the bottom of the page)
1. Gerry and the Pacemakers decided to record You’ll Never Walk Alone in 1963 instead of which Beatles’ song, later released by Liverpool band The Fourmost?
A) Hello Little Girl
B) All I’ve Got to Do
C) All Together Now
2. The Searchers shot to Number One with the single Sweets for My Sweet in 1963, but which American group first recorded it in 1961?
A) The Orlons
B) The Drifters
C) The Premiers
3. What band, formed by Tony Crane and Billy Kinsley in 1960, was renamed The Merseybeats a year later?
A) The Mavericks
B) The Mojos
C) Liverpool Express
4. Liverpool band The Fourmost’s biggest hit was A Little Loving which went to No. 6 in the UK singles chart. In what year was it released?
5. Where was Cilla Black singing when she was first heard by Brian Epstein who subsequently signed her up as one of his acts?
A) The Cavern Club
B) The Blue Angel Jazz Club
C) The Liverpool Empire
6. In which year did The Beatles release the single Hey Jude?
7. What was the best performing UK single for Liverpool band The Swinging Blue Jeans? It went to No. 2 after being released in December 1963.
A) Don’t Make Me Over
B) Hippy Hippy Shake
C) You’re No Good
8. How is the singer Clementine Campbell better known?
A) Cleo Laine
B) Elkie Brooks
C) Connie Francis
9. The Bee Gees’ famously played in Liverpool Anglican Cathedral in December 1967, just after moving back to the UK from Australia. They also notched up their first Number One in the UK singles chart in October of that year. Was it?
A) Spicks and Specks
B) Wish You Were Here
10. In which year did Elton John and Kiki Dee release the single Don’t Go Breaking My Heart?
11. In which year did Davy Jones, who appeared in panto at the Liverpool Empire in 1979, announce he was leaving The Monkees?
12. Which group released the single Lonely This Christmas in 1974?
13. The Hollies won their first audition after being spotted playing in the Cavern Club. What was their debut single?
A) Ain’t That Just Like Me
B) Here I Go Again
C) He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother
14. The Beatles’ song Do You Want to Know a Secret went to No. 2 in the UK singles charts in 1963 for Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas. But which artist previously turned down the chance to record it?
A) Cilla Black
B) Shane Fenton (later to become Alvin Stardust)
C) Tommy Steele
15. Which 1967 Cat Stevens’ song became a hit for Rod Stewart in 1977 and Sheryl Crow in 1983?
A) Father and Son
B) The First Cut is the Deepest
C) Wild World?
Answers: 1 (A); 2 (B); 3 (A); 4 (C); 5 (B); 6 (C); 7 (B); 8 (A); 9 (C); 10 (B); 11 (A); 12 (B); 13 (A); 14 (B); 15 (B).