Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look now.
This week our main image shows the busy thoroughfare of Cross Street, once the home of Manchester’s newspaper industry.
Readers will remember the familiar 1960s frontage of the former Marks and Spencer store on the corner of Market Street and Corporation Street.
A distinctive wave-formed canopy ran around the building. A footbridge across Corporation Street later connected it to the Arndale Shopping Centre. Glass and steel have now replaced the concrete of the 1960s.
In the 1920s, Cross Street boasted some of the most expensive properties in the city once the Albert Square and new Town Hall had been built at the end of the 19th century.
The first edition of the M.E.N. came out of its offices in Cross Street in 1868 and the Manchester Daily Telegraph was published there for a year in 1854.
The Manchester Guardian and M.E.N. offices were extended up to Pall Mall at the rear in 1928. The Guardian finally moved out of the city to its London base in 1970. In the same year, the M.E.N. relocated to its Deansgate offices.
The Conservative Club opened on the corner of Cross Street and St Ann’s Street in October 1876.