Our main image this week shows a historic moment for Liverpool’s Gladstone Dock – the arrival of the first ship to berth there in December 1927.
The vessel was the 19,000-ton White Star liner Albertic which served the trans-Atlantic run between Britain, Canada and the United States.
Built in Germany and launched just after World War One, the Albertic was handed over to the British Government as part of war reparations and sold to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company.
The ship’s original name was the Munchen, but was then called the Ohio. The name changed again to Albertic when the White Star Line acquired the ship in 1927.
The Gladstone Dock is named after Liverpool merchant Robert Gladstone, a second cousin of Prime Minister William Gladstone. It was eventually completed in 1927.
The Graving Dock, which could be flooded and drained to work on ships, was opened earlier in 1913. It was designed to accommodate the largest liners of the time, but has since been converted into a wet dock.
At the outbreak of the First World War in 1918, the liner Aquitania was converted for war service in the graving dock after arriving for repairs. Minesweepers and Atlantic convoy escorts were based at the dock during World War II.
Our second image shows Gladstone Dock fully operational in August 1965.