Welcome again to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Merseyside streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.

Our striking main image this week shows three towering buildings on the Liverpool skyline in July 1989.

Two are cathedrals while the third – the Brunswick Dock grain silo – was known as the ‘Dockers’ Cathedral’ due to its imposing size and presence on the waterfront.

Its days were truly numbered in our photo as the demolition crews had moved in. One side of the silo, owned by the Liverpool Grain Storage and Transit Company, had already been reduced to rubble.

Built in 1936, the enormous structure – housing no less than 320 bins – was the largest concrete grain silo in Europe.

To the left of the silo is the familiar outline of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral – the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Liverpool. Designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd, it was consecrated in 1967.

View of Liverpool
Rock Ferry Waterfront
The lantern tower, rising from the conical building, is clearly visible. So are the linear trusses and buttresses that the give the structure its tent-like appearance and its affectionate nickname – Paddy’s Wigwam.

To the right of the silo is the lofty central tower of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Liverpool – the cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Liverpool. It is Britain’s largest cathedral and the eighth largest church in the world.

The silo is merely a memory in our modern photo taken in March 2021. Apartments now border the once bustling waterfront.

*Unmissable wartime images from Liverpool and the North West are included in Clive Hardy’s latest hardback book The Home Front – Britain 1939-45. It’s available at the special price of £14.99 plus postage and packing.

Just go to inostalgia.co.uk to place your order or ring the hotline on 01928 503777.

It’s Spring Bonanza time! Buy any three books for just £25 at inostalgia.co.uk!