Our main image this week shows the bar at the Rovers Return, Coronation Street, in April 1968.
A rowdy crowd seem to be drinking there, much to the dismay of barmaid Emily Nugent, left, played by Eileen Derbyshire, and Hilda Ogden portrayed by Jean Alexander.
Also taking a drink is Street regular Jerry Booth, second left, played by Graham Haberfield.
A focal point for many storylines over the years, the Coronation Street pub was named after the well-known Rovers Return Inn that used to occupy a 14th century building in Withy Grove. It lost its licence in 1924 and was eventually pulled down in 1958.
The Coronation Street version of the Rovers, including the exterior, was originally set entirely inside Granada studios. All the houses were three-quarters scale which meant actors had to walk slowly past them to avoid looking abnormally large!
The Rovers was transformed again in 1982 when the Queen opened an almost full-size set on the Granada backlot. It expanded again when filming moved from Quay Street studios to MediaCity to meet the demands of high-definition TV.
In 2000, Prince Charles popped into the Rovers for a whisky during the soap’s 40th anniversary celebrations. Our photo shows him chatting to landlady Natalie Barnes, played by Denise Welch.
*Many more images from Then and Now are featured in The Changing Face of Manchester published to mark the 150th anniversary of the M.E.N.
It’s on sale at £14.99 including postage and packing. Order your copy online at inostalgia.co.uk or ring the order hotline on 01928 503777.