Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
This week our main image from May 1977 shows children celebrating the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in Carberry Road, Gorton, with splendid shields and hats. The street is strewn with decorations and bunting.
The two-storey Victorian terraced houses are still in place in photographer Nicola Mazzuia’s modern snapshot – a reminder of the industrial expansion of Gorton when locomotive factories and other workshops sprang up in the area.
Chief among these was Beyer, Peacock and Company which built more than 8,000 locomotives for railways across the world from 1854 to 1966.
The Victorian Gothic masterpiece of Gorton monastery was a complete contrast to the hustle and bustle of the factories. Its frontage still soars above the red-brick terraced houses and shops today.
Completed in 1872, the monastery was designed by Edward Welby Pugin, the son of the famous Gothic revivalist Augustus Welby Pugin.
The church was Grade II listed in 1963, but closed for worship 20 years later in 1983.
In 1997, Gorton Monastery was placed on the Monuments Fund Watch List of the 100 most endangered sites in the world.
The church and friary buildings, however, were extensively restored in a £6 million project backed by the Heritage Lottery Fund, English Heritage and the European Regional Development Fund.
Gorton Monastery re-opened as a venue for conferences, meetings and community events in June 2007.