Welcome again to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Merseyside streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
Our main image this week shows the rousing welcome the Liverpool football team received on returning from the 1950 FA Cup Final at Wembley.
Unfortunately, they didn’t bring the cup with them. The trophy stayed in London with Arsenal who won the match 2-0.
The stars of the Arsenal team were England cricketer Denis Compton, playing at outside forward, and his brother Leslie at centre half. Inside forward Reg Lewis got both goals for the Gunners.
But none of that mattered to the 20,000 crowd who gathered outside Lime Street station to cheer home their heroes.
The familiar frontage of the Empire Theatre is thronged with fans. So too is the shopfront of Burtons as the three coaches carrying the team make slow progress down Lime Street.
The present Empire Theatre, built in the neo-classical style, opened in 1925. It replaced the demolished Royal Alexandra Theatre and Opera House which stood on the site from 1866.
Two Royal Command Performances have been staged at the Empire which has the largest two-tier auditorium in Britain. It can seat 2,348 people.
Lime Street itself dates from 1790 and was named after the lime kilns owned by businessman William Harvey. The kilns were moved in 1804 when a nearby hospital complained about the smell, but the name remained.
The street became pivotal to city life with the arrival of the railway line in 1836. St George’s Hall, opposite the station, was completed in 1854.
*Many more images from Then and Now will be featured in a brilliant new book capturing Merseyside scenes past and present from publishers iNostalgia. The book is due to be published this winter.
Watch out for more details coming soon in this column.