Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
This week our main image shows the distinctive Portland limestone frontage of Kendals department store in Deansgate, photographed in March 1984.
A century ago, cyclists and pedestrians frequented Deansgate, but now cars sit bumper to bumper as shoppers and commuters flock into the city. It looks no different in 1984.
Kendals began life as Watts’ store in 1832 but became Kendal, Milne and Faulkner when three employees bought it out and reopened the business in 1836.
Harrods purchased the store in 1919 and changed its name, but it reverted to Kendal Milne a few years later.
Historians are unclear over the origins of the name Deansgate, but it may have a connection with the deanery of the village church near Parsonage Gardens. Alternatively, it may derive from when the Danes seized Manchester in 870 AD.
The name is probably an amalgamation of Dene, after the lost River Dene which flowed nearby, and the Scandinavian gata, meaning way.
Deansgate was a prosperous road by the 1840s, fronted by shops and fine houses. But it was a different story behind the well-built facades with criminals often lying in wait.
When social writer Friedrich Engels toured Deansgate he was warned to take a guide with him!
*Many more images from Then and Now are featured in the new book The Changing Face of Manchester published to mark the 150th anniversary of the M.E.N.
It’s on sale now at the reduced price of £9.99 plus postage and packing. Order your copy online at inostalgia.co.uk or ring the order hotline on 01928 503777.