Welcome again to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Merseyside streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
Our main image this week shows the approach to Liverpool Central Station, photographed 60 years ago in February 1960.
Women chat nonchalantly on the cobblestones as a double-decker bus passes by on Ranelagh Street.
The bus carries an advert for the well-known Threlfall’s Brewery, which operated in Liverpool from 1888 until it was bought out by Whitbread in 1967.
Behind the pedestrians is the impressive three-storey entrance building that fronted the 65ft high iron and glass train shed.
Central Station was opened in March 1874 at the end of the Cheshire Lines Committee railway to Manchester Central. It replaced Brunswick Station in Toxteth as the committee’s Liverpool terminus.
As well as Manchester, trains to London St Pancras, Hull and Harwich ran from the station’s six platforms.
The ground-level station was demolished in 1973 – a victim of the Beeching Report into rail modernisation – but some buildings remained as work went ahead on the Merseyrail underground station.
The site occupied by the train shed is now part of the Central Village development.
The Merseyrail station, on the Northern Line and Wirral Line, is now the busiest station in Liverpool – and the seventh busiest outside London.
In terms of passengers per platform, Liverpool Central is the second busiest underground station in the UK. More than 40,000 people use the it every day.
*Many more images from Then and Now will be featured in a brilliant new book capturing Merseyside scenes past and present from publishers iNostalgia. The book is due to be published this winter.
Watch out for more details coming soon in this column.