Welcome again to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Merseyside streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
Our main image this week shows Church Street in January 1962, with shoppers hunting for a bargain outside Marks and Spencers. On the corner are well-known furriers Swears and Wells.
People are queuing for buses as cars mill down the busy street, carefully avoiding pedestrians who cross between them.
There are far fewer vehicles now, but Church Street remains as bustling as ever. It is still the city’s prime shopping area.
The street gets its name from the former St Peter’s church which was consecrated in June 1704 and demolished in 1922. A bronze Maltese cross now marks its location.
The church, to the south of Church Street, was designed by John Moffat. Its single tower, octagonal at the top, was 108 feet high and housed a peal of eight bells.
Church Street was not paved until 1760 and was once the site of a weekly cattle market.
On the south side of Church Street is the Liverpool One complex – a combination of leisure and retail outlets as well as residential areas. Opened in October 2008, it takes its name from the district’s L1 postcode.
Also to the south is Church Alley which includes the Bluecoat Chambers, the oldest surviving building in central Liverpool. It was originally built as a charity school in 1717.
On the north side of Church Street is Williamson Square.
*Many more images from Then and Now will be featured in a brilliant new book capturing Merseyside scenes past and present from publishers iNostalgia. The book is due to be published this winter.
Watch out for more details coming soon in this column.