Welcome to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Manchester streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
This week our main image from November 1948 shows the striking outline of the Kennet House council estate at Cheetham Hill.
Former residents have been reliving their memories of the Art Deco style flats in the M.E.N. over the past year.
Now photographer Nicola Mazzuia has brought those memories firmly into the 21st century with his modern image of precisely the same spot.
The contrast could not be more stark. Red-brick family homes have replaced the gleaming white oval structure once dubbed the Queen Mary due to its likeness to the ocean liner.
In the 1948 image, residents mill round the distinctive flats which dominate their elevated position as a solitary car climbs the hill.
Newly planted saplings are just starting to establish themselves; one may still be glimpsed as a mature tree in front of the homes in the 2019 photo.
Kennet House was built in 1934 to a design by Bolton-born architect Leonard Heywood. He was also responsible for new housing in Wythenshawe.
The flats heralded an era of high-rise developments where whole communities from terraced streets were transplanted into gleaming new multi-storey buildings.
Facilities at Kennet House included shops, a communal washroom, youth club and even a church. Each of the 181 flats had their own bathroom and hot and cold water.
But the promise of the 1930s had long faded by the 1970s. Kennet House had become run-down and poorly maintained. It was eventually demolished in 1979.
*Many more images from Then and Now are featured in the new book The Changing Face of Manchester published to mark the 150th anniversary of the M.E.N.
It’s on sale now at the reduced price of £9.99 plus postage and packing. Order your copy online at inostalgia.co.uk or ring the order hotline on 01928 503777.