Welcome again to Then and Now, where each week we compare images of Merseyside streets, landmarks and buildings from bygone days with how they look today.
Our main image this week shows the newly laid-out 130-acre Walton Hall Park in all its splendour in February 1934.
There is a stillness about the place, whose pristine paths and lakes lay undisturbed and ready to receive visitors.
Trees that are now full grown were only saplings 86 years ago – and much more of the park was visible from the photographer’s vantage point.
A popular attraction for the people of Walton for decades, the park was officially opened to the public by King George V on July 18th 1934. He was visiting Liverpool to open the Queensway Tunnel.
The origins of the park date back to the 12th century and Henry de Walton, who was steward of the West Derby hundred.
The hundred covered the Merseyside region north of the River Mersey as well as parts of the modern boroughs of West Lancashire, Warrington and Wigan.
Walton Manor was held by the Walton family until the 15th century and was subsequently owned by the Breres and Atherton families before being sold to Liverpool banker Thomas Leyland in 1804. It became part of Liverpool Borough Council in 1895.
Particular features of Walton Hall Park are the two lakes which are popular with anglers due to the number of carp, bream and tench.
The perimeter path is an ideal place for fishermen to set up for the day, expectantly perched on their seat-boxes.
There is also a 3.25km fitness trail for the more energetic, with a range of keep fit stations and suggested exercises. Children can enjoy swings, roundabouts and a games area.
*Many more images from Then and Now will feature in a brilliant new book from publishers iNostalgia. Watch out for more details soon.