St. Paul’s was assigned a District from Holcombe by Order in Council – 23 May 1844 (London Gazette, 3 June 1844). The church was consecrated on 23 October 1850 on land given by a local farmer.
According to Genuki ‘The church of St. Paul is a stone building in the Early English style, erected in 1850 at a cost of £3,400, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, north aisle, south porch, organ chamber and a tower with spire containing 8 bells, hung in 1879.’
Part of the parish was assigned to St. Andrew’s, Ramsbottom, by Order in Council, 12 February 1876 (London Gazette, 15 February 1876).
In 1981 St. Paul’s was united with St. John’s, Shuttleworth, as St. John and St. Paul, Ramsbottom, both churches being retained for worship, by Order in Council, 13 April (London Gazette, 16 April 1981).
Today, following the Coronavirus pandemic, St Paul’s has a growing congregation, including a Sunday School catering for children aged 12 months to 12 years. Weekly services of alternate weeks of Holy Communion and Family Worship each Sunday at 11.00am (all are welcome to join).
Visit St Paul’s Website here.
Featured img A Kinsey